Label Summit South China

My final creation, South China Label Summit for Tarsus Group was launched today. The design brief was a little tough. The branding for the show wont be done until a few months before the show. This meant I had to do something generic to allow for future branding, whilst still keeping a sense of, well… branding (a contradiction, I know). All I had to go on was the logo and the fact they liked Smart Label Summit Europe which I created earlier in the year.

I’m quite happy with it though. I think it’s pretty much bug free and it easy on the eyes. I used Strict XHTML and there’s only two minor errors on the home page. I’m particularly proud of the menu, the date/venue details and the conference tab links because they use some snazzy CSS techniques. Works on all web standard Internet devices!

Worst website menu ever?

I’ve been browsing round the world of the web tonight and I came across the site of record label 4AD. I thought, “ok, great, I’d like to read about the Cocteau Twins please”. So I found myself clicking this stupid wheel type thing until I found a bit on it that says ‘help’. This isn’t general website or accessibility help, but how to use the diabolical navigation method they had lumbered their poor unsuspecting users.

Click on tiny arrow near the letters, select a letter, drag the artist name into the light area, click the… no hold on, I don’t give a damn anymore I’ve lost interest. Why make it so hard for potential customers to find your products? Correct me if I’m incorrect, but if you need to provide help on how to use a website menu, then it’s probably not the best menu, now is it?
It’s a very well put together piece of Flash. Once you’ve ‘learnt’ how to use it, it’s not so bad and I guess it could be nice to browse an artist by year, but really, come on, it’s too complicated.

Anyone else seen a bad menu lately?

Little bit of a problem

If anyone’s been here lately, you may have noticed some funny things going on and pages not working. Well, I’ve moved server and it caused an untold amount of problems. I’ve got a new re-seller account at WebFusion and wanted to hose on that. But as I already had an existing brainfire account, WebFusion could not create a new one. Which means I was facing un-avoidable downtime. I’ve had to back-up the whole site – wait – and then upload to the new server. What a load of rubbish! It would have gone smoother if I moved to a new host.

This will also explain the lack of posts recently.

Venues finding service logoLast month saw the release of our new project: A free venues finding service. I was responsible for designing a clear and simple user interface with emphasis on the search facility.
I’m happy with the results – all pages validate as transitional XHTML, use logical semantics and contain accessiblilty features. I also believe it’s easy to use. Plus as our reports show, many people are finding it a useful tool too! [I’ll add some stats soon]